Tuesday 20 November 2012

Stair Crazy




Wednesday 7 November 2012

I’d been thinking about the proposed ladder stair to the mezzanine, and wondering if we could have something a bit more easy to use.  This was partly inspired by making my little quirky steps up the drystone terracing.  They are easy to go up, but quite tricky to get down, because the steps are too short.   Using that information, I asked Constantine what were the ideal measurements for stairs, but those proved impractical for our structure, so I worked out a best fit: 20cm risers, 30cm treads, and modelled it up.

We have one concrete cross-piece spanning the underfloor below the stairs, so that can take the central wall, the outside edges can be supported by diagonal braces.  The stairs can help brace the structure, therefore.  I made a model so I could see how it would all work, and to explain my ideas to Yiannis.




No comments:

Post a Comment