Sunday 30 November 2014

Curved walls

Friday 21 Nov 2014

A day of fixing walls.  First the installation of base frames for the bales outside the kitchen on the east wall.  Dave constructed little ladder frames, which I leveled and fixed, then packed out with stones, gravel and mortar to give a firm foundation. They make quite nice little seats, in the morning sunshine.


Then I moved indoors, and worked some more on the internal wall to the studio.  I had used the rainy days last week to do a lot of woodwork on this wall, especially where it meets the ceiling - we know now that any little gaps or holes will attract solo wasps and bees, and I'd rather they chose somewhere else.  So the rafter needed to be boarded in, and stuffed with insulation (old pillow inners) and clever ways of fixing laths from the wrong side devised , and little bits of wood cut to fit various gaps and shapes in the roof trusses.  In all, it was taking a long time.  I also wanted to see if I could make a wall that turned a right angle inside (for shelves) but showed a nice curve on the outside.  The pic below shows my solution - laths running vertically.  Will see how it looks once plastered.

For this little wall I tried to use up all the short offcuts lying around the place, they're all different widths and thicknesses but it's better to use them than keep them lying around.

No comments:

Post a Comment