Monday 27 February 2017

Can't keep me away

6 February

The days are falling into a new, boatyard-y pattern.  We varnish and otherwise prep for the yard at home first thing, then arrive at the yard about 10ish.  Then, with the help of bananas, nuts or home-made oat & buckwheat ginger biscuits, we last out till 2ish on a couple of cups of tea before going home for a late lunch.  This leaves the afternoons free, and as the weather is still a bit chilly, and we don't want to fire up the stove too early (to conserve wood stocks), there is time for some garden pottering.  And this time of year, it's hard to leave it alone - there's an urgency about preparing for the new season, and it drags me out time and again.

 Here's the olive tree terrace bed covered with old sheets encrusted with lime plaster blobs - which stops them blowing away.  The gaps are where wild asparagus plants have been left standing

This is a little space upslope from the same tree.  Last year I put down some manure here and covered it with a sheet.  This year, I pulled away the sheet, but left the fallen leaves to mulch the soil there.  I've put in some chicory, which may come up.  Meanwhile, I found about three more asparagus plants, so I cleared some space around them.


No comments:

Post a Comment