Tuesday 3 January 2012

Oops


A fine start to the year: I woke up bright and early ready for a new year of work and interest, and offered to do the chores while Dave got a rare lie-in.  So I went off and started the generator.  I was just lighting the wood stove when the genny coughed and died.  Dave was out of bed in seconds, dressed and checking it.  Apparently I'd turned the fuel tap off, instead of on.  I do these things by rote - find fuel tap, turn it.  Not what Dave or any reasonably competent mechanic would do - find fuel tap, discover it is already on, leave it alone.  Two hours later, fuel system completely stripped, checked, cleaned; Dave's feet frozen in his slippers, and with diesel spills on his decent clothes (thrown on in a hurry); the generator coughed back into life.  I am in disgrace.

Meanwhile, the trees were delivered.  Yesterday we went to Lefkas to a garden centre and bought nine trees to start an orchard: Apple, Pear, Apricot, Nectarine, Peach, Almond, Pomegranate and two figs.  The delivery man had terrible trouble finding us, and after a three way conversation with the garden centre owner who speaks good English, I eventually had to drive up into Paleaokatuna to find the delivery van.

No comments:

Post a Comment