Saturday 27 June 2020

Messing about with apricots

20 June 2020

The apricot question has been bothering me.  They are still not entirely ripe, but we had some windy weather and there are a lot of good windfalls, so I decided to try making apricot and ginger chutney.

 Windfalls sorted and any bruising cut out.

 My mango and ginger chutney recipe (Madhur Jaffrey - very good) wants grated mangos, so I put the apricots through the food processor, which may have been a mistake.  I matched apricots by weight with the mangos in the recipe, but I think they may have a lot more water.  I had to simmer for about three hours and add another similar weight of apricots before the consistency was passable.  More experimentation required.

 This is our first pomegranate flower to set.  We have quite a few flowers every year but they drop off without bulging out.  We will watch this one with interest.

My current painting in progress - an allium flower with a bee

No comments:

Post a Comment