Friday 18 March 2011

Jurassic mark

The weekend 19/20 February 2011

With our tails in the air and our noses to the trail we couldn't let up now, so Saturday morning again saw us at Goat Bottom and not in the boatyard.

At this point in my last writing session, Google decided I'd used up all the free blogger memory and wouldn't upload any more pics.  I have now subscribed to some more megabytes, so hopefully I can catch up with everything that's been going on.

My first action on Saturday morning was to fix this bolster over the door of the camper truck - you have to look down to find the steps, and about every third time Dave would crack his head on the door frame coming out. 
Then I wandered round the back of the shed and found out that I hadn't painted the north wall!  Bit of a shock - that memory could be so treacherous - so I got on with that.
Dave, who is eagerly anticipating the arrival of batteries for the solar panels, started designing a battery box.  Local prices are ridiculous, so we asked Tina and Shrimpy, who have gone to the UK in their van, to bring back a set of four Golf Cart batteries.  These should arrive in early March.
Dave then dug out a channel for the shower drainage which will feed the lemon tree. 
While I painted preservative on the battery box, so it can be fitted to the west wall of the shed.
This is the soak-away hole for the lemon tree.  The tree is placed on a central mound of earth and a ring of stones and gravel surround it, to allow free drainage from the pipe.
Here it is, planted.  A great moment!  Dave gave me this lemon tree for my birthday two years ago and it's been in the pot ever since.  At the time, I remember saying, 'Now I feel like a woman of property here in Greece.'  A statement that turns out to have had a ring of prophecy about it.
During the scramble about the site collecting up loose gravel and stones for the soak-away, I found this very interesting little piece of an ammonite.  I couldn't remember exactly where I found it, but I think it was in amongst the gravel originally disturbed by the bulldozer clearing the driveway, which makes it local to Goat Bottom, and places us on the sea bed in Jurassic times.

(apologies for the grubby fingers!)


No comments:

Post a Comment