Saturday 12 January 2013

Cleaning the Footings

Monday 7 Jan 2013

Dave and I agreed that the next most useful job I can be doing is starting the clean up of the concrete footing.  When we come to build the stone stem wall we will need a very clean join between the concrete and the new mortar, so every last trace of mud and loose stone needs clearing away.  Not as easy as it sounds.  The local earth is very clayey (which is good for us), but where it has been impacted into the rough concrete surface of the footing it has gone solid.  I was using a cold chisel and sometimes a wire brush to clear down to the concrete.  South face nearly done, three more to go!


I was admiring the view just outside the shed door, when I realised I was seeing it through the structure.  When the house is complete, we won't have this view of the poet's house on Madhouri island any more, or at least, not from the decking.


No comments:

Post a Comment