Tuesday 7 August 2012

Of chickens and eggs

Monday/Tuesday 30 & 31 July 2012

Well, we were still wondering if the chickens were ever going to be more than just entertainment, and they were obviously feeling a little guilty themselves - I found them queueing up for the barbeque:


but then, the day before Dave was due back from skippering, I found this sorry specimen in the hen house.  I think it must have popped out when they were roosting, and I caught Daft in the process of pecking at it.  The books say you mustn't let them get a taste for their own eggs, or you'll not get any for breakfast, so I grabbed it quick and chucked it on the compost.  A while later I thought - 'but that was our first egg' - so I took a photo:


On Monday, having recovered from skippering and Sunday turnaround work, Dave set out to see if they really had started laying, and found this in a hollow of cypress roots:


We tested them for freshness, and boiled them up for breakfast.  Look what I found in mine!


Since then, we've taken delivery of two warm brown eggs every day.  They lay late morning, so not quite handy for breakfast.  And even Megachuck, who is a month or two younger, has produced a couple of tiny white eggs, just to show she can.  At least we know no-one is a rooster!

No comments:

Post a Comment