Wednesday 27 January 2021

Gravelling

 27 Jan 2021

We are getting about one dry day every week, which means a mad scramble to get washing on the line and wood stores stocked up, not to mention the excitement of hot water and free use of all our electric appliances.  And the opportunity to get some jobs in the garden moving along.


These steps by the front door have now bedded in and need weeding and a top up of gravel.  I did the weeding, Dave shovelled, barrowed and raked gravel.

Last spring I threw thousands of creeping thyme seeds all round these steps, to give them a bit of herby softening.  I thought not one had come up, until Dave spotted this , and its smaller sister nearby.  

Raking the new gravel down from the top.

Late afternoon, when I went to put the kettle on, I was amazed to see this bird through the kitchen window.  We didn't dare go any nearer, so I took a long zoom shot (through a dirty window).  It was really blustery outside, and we thought it was maybe feeling a little buffeted.  Dave thinks it is a sparrow hawk.  We know there is one locally, because we see a streak of grey feathers from time to time.  A great privilege to get a better look.

All the rainy days have the advantage of pushing me into the studio to do lots of painting.  This took little over a week, which is really quick for me!  It is for my grandson (who actually wanted a red tractor - oops!) although I don't know when the EU-UK postal situation will improve enough to send it.


No comments:

Post a Comment