Sunday 27 August 2017

Electrobike Adventures

23 - 25 August 2017

Having converting the bicycles to electric, Dave was pushing for opportunities to put them through their paces.

 First mission: to try out the trailer.  I wasn't too keen to take a long vehicle through Nidri High Street while it is still August, but we had shopping to do, and parcels expected at the Post Office, so a backpack probably wouldn't do.  In the event, the trailer did a very good job, and was packed out by the end.  There was more at the PO than expected, including books, and we needed lots of veg.  I was probably hauling around 20 kilos by the time we came back up the hill to home.  The electrics coped easily, barely used any charge and I didn't have to strain at all.  Very successful.  

We're not quite sure why I've got the trailer, except that it was my idea to get it, so Dave fixed the attachment to my bike.  We have to send for another attachment so he can haul it too.

Then the second mission appeared - Jonathan and Bella were still out yachting, but they were coming into Rouda Bay on Lefkas for Friday night, and did we want to join them for a meal?  Rouda Bay is about 13 km (8 miles) from home, and the road climbs steeply for half of that, then descends in a series of hairpin bends.  Again, I thought it was madness, but Dave was all for the adventure.  So we packed our swimmers, made sure the batteries were full, and set off.  

I was pleased to see that the batteries were just touching half power at the highest point of the climb, which is about two thirds of the way there.  Then we had the long downhill, hard work on the wrists and fingers clamped on the brakes.  We arrived still on half power, had a swim and a meal, and set off back in the dark.  This was quite scary, because there was very little light, and a lot of traffic (August by the seaside!), and some mad puppies that chased me in the dark, yapping round my wheels.  

It was a long, hard ride - given that we'd only been back and forth to Nidri before - and we covered 27 km (17 miles) in total, but the actual cycling with the electric assist was a doddle.  I would definitely do it again - tho' perhaps not at night.  My battery went to one quarter full just outside our field, so there was plenty left in it - I'd been conserving power just in case.  


Next morning - I had a flat tyre!  Incredibly grateful that didn't hit during the ride.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment