Wednesday 29 April 2015

Taking the corner

Weds 29 April 2015

Dave had a morning at Nisos, so I was on my own.  Unfortunately, while we were in Lefkas earlier in the week, we had forgotten one important reason for going - we were meant to check with the glass workshop whether they could cut glass in the shape of our little arched window - so I had to make another trip. 

It is not a circular arch, Rpwan compromised between time, effort and available equipment to come up with a five-sided (half a decahedron?) arch.  If the glass workship will cut the little one, we can go ahead with the same principle for the three large ones in the SE corner.  Important that we find this out, as Rowan will be starting the frames very soon.

 A careful series of measurements, glue, staples and cautious cutting resulted in this template for the glass workshop.  I pick up the glass tomorrow.

 Then I got on with the lumpy corner where the new section joins the recently plastered east wall.  I wanted to make the corner as smooth as possible.  It needed a lot of loose straw stuffing to shape the curve, as well as cavity-filling where the two walls meet, so I stapled plasterer's mesh in sections, stuffing each bit before fixing the next.  I also laid a baton down the right hand edge, so the net could be pulled taut for a nice shape.

The soffit board was in, with extra membrane (red) and lashings of netting (blue).  We also realised we would need a strong waterproof seal around where the horizontal beam comes through the wall, so I had to fit batons and make a plywood flange to surround the beam to allow membrane and netting to be stapled down.  The plaster will hide a multitude of sins, so it should turn out all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment