Tuesday 18 September 2012

Track washout

Saturday 15 September 2012

Two days of heavy rain, and the track down to Goat Bottom is seriously washed out in places.  I drove up during a dry patch, going in search of stones for my wall, and realised I'd have to use the stones to fill up some of the erosion.

I filled the deeper gashes with rocks, while Dave fetched the pick and shovel and renewed the drainways.  I think the track will be a major problem this year.




Which reminds me that a few weeks ago there was a development in the track saga.  The brothers who own a field further down the track from us and who borrowed our piece of paper from the Town Hall to say our track was a legal donkeyway, have had an on-going battle in court with the man who owns the land where the track meets a metalled lane down the hill. He is refusing to open the road.  (He's the one who asked us and our vendor to pay 15,000 euros to open the road.  We refused, which is why we access from above).

I was stopped in town by Nikos, a mutual friend of ours and the brothers', who said they were going back to court and wanted us to pay half the legal fees.  I said to tell them we weren't bothered and definitely didn't want to pay any legal fees.  While there's no road there's no traffic.  We prefer it closed.

When I got back to the camper van, one of the brothers came by and asked me for a copy of my passport.  It's lucky I'd been primed, or I'd've wondered what this was about, due to the language difficulties.  I don't think I'd've just handed out a copy of my passport, and I definitely won't in the future, but I presume it was to give to the lawyer for him to chase me for eventual payment.  I wouldn't've known anything about it if Nikos hadn't warned me.

No comments:

Post a Comment